Go ahead and Google “family vacation.” You’ll find plenty of pictures showing a husband and wife, with two kids, having fun in the sun on a beach. This might be the vacation of your dreams as a traveler, but if you’re a single-parent family searching for an epic adventure, these images might not resonate. Despite the near 12 million families in the U.S. run by a single parent, this shows that travel is still tailored to couples.
Single parents surveyed by the Family Travel Association said they often feel the travel industry doesn’t understand their needs. This means single-parent travelers and agents need to work together to better understand how to create a great experience. Here is a list of tips and resort options to consider when you’re ready to plan your next single-parent family vacation.
- Plan ahead for transportation. Pick a resort with an airport shuttle, book an airport transfer as part of your package or choose a resort close to the main attractions.
- Book excursions before you go! Excursions are a great way to interact with others during vacation. Activities like boat rides or snorkeling can lead to meeting new people while doing something enjoyable. Plus if you book it before you go, there’s no need to make any additional plans once you arrive.
- Research if the hotel or resort offers children’s programs or any babysitting services if you’d love to have some quality “me” time.
- Consider all-inclusive resorts. By choosing an all-inclusive resort you won’t need to worry so much about dining and activities. It’s also a great way to meet new people! Check out the list below for some options.
[cp_modal display=”inline” id=”cp_id_326d1″][/cp_modal]
These resorts are known for being kid-friendly and could be the perfect place for you and your family to stay.
- Karisma Resorts are ideal for gourmet inclusive vacations designed for families. Stay at Azul Beach Resorts in Mexico or Jamaica for a brand new genre of luxury beachfront family fun. Or stay at Nickelodeon Hotels and Resorts in Punta Cana where families get even closer after walking down the orange carpet and getting slimed together. If you end up extending your stay at this first resort of its kind in the Caribbean, we understand.
- Sandos Hotels and Resorts is the leader in all things regarding sustainability. With the Caribbean sunshine and Mexican hospitality in Playa del Carmen, you and your family will make memories while traveling as eco-consciously as possible. At Sandos Caracol Eco Resort, there are 29 water slides to descend from no matter what your age. If you’re feeling even more adventurous, there’s a mini farm of rescue animals to care for. Sandos Playacar Beach Resort is a beach lover’s paradise. There’s always something to do with a teen club, miniature golf, Cupcake Café and endless beach activities.
- Marival Emotions Resorts & Suites is a must-see due to the success of their Marival Kids program. It’s fun for parents and kids at Marival Residences & World Spa, Marival Emotions Resort & Suites and Rancho Banderas. Family Emotion benefits enhance your vacation with VIP service consisting of exclusive concierge service, entertainment items and free tours to choose from in Puerto Vallarta. Beach and pool packages in addition the welcome basket truly will make your family feel as welcome as possible. Experience for yourself with a “kit with amenities for mom” or special discounts at the spa.
- Reflect Resorts & Spas in Mexico are as rejuvenating, authentic and vibrant as can be. When “reflect” is in the name, serious relaxation should be expected along with culturally infused experiences for all. Reflect Krystal Grand’s in Cancun, Los Cabos and Nuevo Vallarta offer spirited travelers of all types, like friends getaways, annual family getaways and so much more. Unlimited-Luxury inclusions will maintain that luxurious serenity you’re seeking, plus fun, food and entertainment will be limitless for the kids too.